Monday, October 30, 2006

Macbeth on Star Wars?

I was grading my seniors' Macbeth Acts 3 and 4 tests today, and I had some funny responses that I thought I'd share...

When asked what 3 questions Macbeth asked Banquo, the correct responses would be in the family of...

Ride you this afternoon?
Is't far you ride?
Goes Fleance with you?

My favorite response of the day:
"Ride ye to the mothership?"

When I asked this student where he got this answer from, he responded: "Oh, I meant to write, 'Ride ye to the motherland?'" Motherland? That word is nowhere to be found in Macbeth! He said he is sure he wrote it on his study guide. I think he must have been watching Star Wars as he was "studying."

Second response:

The question asks, how have Lady Macbeth and Macbeth's roles reversed?

When teaching, I said something to the effect that Macbeth is keeping Lady Macbeth out of the loop. Favorite response:

Macbeth is in control now. Lady Macbeth is in the loo.

These seniors are OOC!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love it! Macbeth was one of my favorites in high school. It was actually the subject of the best paper I ever wrote (college included.) I loved Literature though. I almost majored in English. For some silly reason I chose accounting. What's up with that?