Friday, December 07, 2007

State Bound

The Independence High School Eagles have made it to the state championship in class 5-A football. Tomorrow they travel to MTSU to face reigning champs, Smyrna. One of my favorite students is pictured above, #7, Alex Heckman. A sophomore, he began the season as 3rd-string quarterback, and he has emerged as a team leader and major factor in IHS's success. My favorite thing about Alex is his humilty. In every interview he has been level-headed, realistic, and unassuming. He gives all the credit to the seniors and his teammates, and he is having the time of his life. Alex is also a 4.0 student and one of my best writers in my Honors English class, a bright spot in my day for sure. I love stories like this one, and you can read more in this article. Root for the Indy Eagles tomorrow! And I'll also be cheering for my alma mater in the 3-A championship. Go Mustangs!

No comments: