Friday, May 18, 2012

Shrimp and Grits

Ever since my 20 year old summer in Charleston, shrimp and grits has been one of my favorite low country dishes. During a recent week of "shop my pantry and freezer" cooking, I made this with ingredients on hand. It was yummy.

I thawed some frozen, peeled and deveined shrimp and seasoned them with trusty ole' Old Bay. I think I used about a pound of shrimp.

Meanwhile I boiled 3 cups of chicken broth, and cooked a cup of grits in there according to the box directions.

Then I mixed the grits with the shrimp, a drained can of rotel, and whatever cheese I had on hand. I think I used cheddar, Monterey jack, and even a little velveeta that I had left over--Between a cup and a cup and a half. I have used pepper jack before, and that is good if you like it extra spicy.

I kept the mixture in my pan, and then I baked it until the cheese was melted and bubbly. My family thanked me. :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yum! Thanks for posting this! Looking forward to seeing you and Lindsay this weekend!