Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Savannah from Savannah: Read this book!

I came upon this great read through my sister, so I credit her with my newfound love for this writer. She found it while browsing at our favorite bookstore, Sundog Books, in Seaside, Florida. It caught her attention because of her daughter's and my niece-y's namesake, and the rest is history.

I had been looking for something a little "happier" to read after my recent literary experience with oppressed women in Afghanistan and teenage angst...

I found it at my library {I have put myself on a "buying-new-books-freeze" for the summer} and pretty much devoured it. It is upbeat, realistic, moral, and just an all around laugh-out-loud book. One of my fascinations with it is the main character's {Savannah from Savannah, DUH} pursuit of a writing career. Her self discovery and evolving of relationships take her on an adventure of relearning the character qualities of compassion and the ability to see beyond herself. It is not in the Christian fiction genre, but it is rooted in faith and eternal purpose while still being hilarious and realistic. Is is set in the beautiful south {and I am a lover of southern literature}, and it just makes you feel good.

Another author that I'd compare Denise Hildreth to is Kristen Billerbeck, writer of the "What a Girl Wants" series. Savannah from Savannah is exactly the sort of book I'd aspire to write. If you need a light-hearted, inspirational, feel-good book, check this one out for sure!

*It's part of a 3 book series. I'll be back at the library today trying to locate the subsequent two!

***EDIT*** The other 2 are great as well--I especially loved the one set in Seaside, and did anyone notice that DENISE HILDRETH commented on my blog????!!!! AND she lives in Franklin. I'm thinking I need to foster this connection and maybe she'll even let me take her to lunch and pick her brain...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurry up and find the next book so we can talk about it!! I just started it yesterday and I am already hooked again. Hooray for new, fun authors to read! Daniel is sending me to the beach right now for some "me" time so I can dig in. Love you...

Linds

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

ooooo gotta check this out!

Jesse Faris said...

Ooo, yea! I am looking for something JUST like this. (I need a little southern Ya Ya-ishness!)

Denise Hildreth said...

Hey Kristy,

Thank you so much for sharing my book with your friends. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You'll have to let me know what you think of the others!

All the best
Denise Hildrerth
www.denisehildreth.com

brooke said...

If I ever step into the world of "reading" I sure know who to come to. Sounds like a really neat book!

Katie said...

That is crazy because I saw that book at Sundog books when I was in there a few weeks ago! I picked it up and thought about reading it but decided I didn't have enought time. I'll have to pick it up later! By the way, I love Sundog Books too!