I. LOST. IT
By 10 am, I had already spanked Addison 4 times (yes, I spank)... for not obeying, for using electronics without permission, for bullying her sister. Nothing was working. Not time out, not threats, not taking away privileges. She is at this age where she is fighting for every bit of independence that she can squeeze out, and it is a beautiful thing... except when it is NOT a beautiful thing. I don't like that she thinks she can open my fingernail polish and paint her nails by herself. I don't like walking in the pantry and her helping herself and her little sister to snacks 1 hour before dinner. I don't like the ownership that she takes of my iphone and ipad. I need her to ask for permission... Too much? Well she didn't and she wouldn't and when she tried to "help" clean by soaking one of my makeup sponges and drenching my wooden bench, I had had enough.
I told her that I was going to call the police and have them take her away.
Go ahead, judge.
I meant it.
What's even worse?
She totally bought it, and it is the ONLY thing that worked. Talk about shape up or ship out.
I went to the closet, shut the door, cried, and prayed for a better afternoon.
We had one, thankfully, and I definitely adore my little big girl. We are so much alike that I get her. I really do. I just know that we will clash because of it. But lots of hugs and laughs and make believe moments later, my horrible threat is overshadowed.
But I am still fiesty. And I found myself writing down a list of things that are making me grouchy right now:
1. The hashtag #firstworldproblems. It usually follows some pompous, entitled, obnoxious statement, and even though some people mean it to be self-deprecating, it really bothers me. What does that say about what is important to us?
2. Hope Solo. Wish she would just retire and get a life instead of glorifying her bawdy debauchery and soiling the image of the Olympians.
3. My garage. I emptied my classroom into it, and I just don't even know where to begin.
4. My reading rut. I have never really fully recovered from The Hunger Games. Any good recommendations? I just finished The Paris Wife...
5. All of this Chick FilA nonsense. I wish I could block all related posts on any and all of my feeds.
That's all for now.