Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It's in the air...


It's back to school time. I can feel it, and I'm starting to get that giddy feeling of going back to my classroom, meeting new students, having routine, acting out Macbeth, and even grading research papers... I must be doing what I'm called to do if I can find something good about research papers...

I went back to my classroom today for the first time all summer. It was a bit of a rude awakening. Dust mites everywhere, air conditioning not working, complete filth... At one point, I was rearranging things and in the process of moving a pencil sharpener, pencil shavings dumped everywhere... in my desk drawers that were open, all over my desktop, the floor, on my shirt, down my shirt--I even ingested quite a bit and have been sneezing and wheezing off and on all day long... I attempted to get my schedule so I could, I don't know, start doing my lesson plans since school begins in less than 2 weeks, but I learned that they are not giving out schedules yet... What!?

In spite of all of these seemingly disappointing factors, I am STILL looking forward to a new school year, and I am determined to have a good attitude and look for the positive things that remind me why I love teaching. I'm excited about being with teacher friends again, and I have high hopes for the two new teachers that will be on our hall. (Keeping fingers crossed) I went shopping for new school supplies and got a new desktop calendar, some clear page protectors, post-its for my students to take notes within the texts, pens and pencils, dry erase markers, sharpies, dividers, the works. I also visited Target and was thrilled with all of the "One Spot" hot teacher items.

Tonight after dinner with some friends, Patrick lovingly took me "Back-to-School" shopping--as has been a ritual since I was a student and will continue through my teaching years. A good outfit on the first day of school helps take away some of those jitters and gives an extra measure of confidence--I buy it. We found some great deals at Banana Republic and Ann Taylor, and I really got excited about the first day with my new students.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm excited too! I'm so glad you are my pal AND my across the hall buddy!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

had awesome times with you yesterday! im so glad we ran into each other. I think God wanted it that way so we could spend some time together. love ya and talk to y asoon! lets start back on our schedule next week? good luck with the school stuff. hope you find out what youre teaching soon!
ash

Anonymous said...

Well it could always be worse. I was listening to Rick and Bubba the other day and they were talking about a teacher that went to get her classroom ready for school to start back and while she was cleaning up she moved a book binder and was BITTEN three times by a copperhead. It wigs me out just thinking about it.

Tell Patrick the Ramm's said hello. I love keeping up with ya'll and seeing pictures of your families on your blog.