Friday, June 19, 2009

Order Envy and a Summer Craving Fulfilled...

I'm the person who, after deliberating on what to order at a restaurant, narrowing my choices down to 3, eliminating the other possibilities systematically, and emphatically making my selection, STILL wishes I'd ordered what my eating companion chose when the food is brought to the table.

So many times, I try to entice P in the game "Wanna Switch?" where we totally swap entrees and eat what the other person ordered. It worked some when we were dating--not-so-much any more. I'm lucky to swap a few bites. I don't know why I'm this way, why I suffer from what I call "Order Envy" so extremely. But I do.

The latest incident occurred when I was lunching with my friend a couple of weeks ago at Henpeck Market. She ordered a grilled pimento cheese and tomato sandwich; I don't even remember what I got. All I remember is salivating over HER plate when they brought my food.

All summer, I've been craving this sandwich. In this miserable heat, it's so hard to find something that sounds good to eat... Every day, when I think about what I want for lunch, I think "A grilled pimento cheese and tomato sandwich..." and I never have it on hand. So, yesterday, I finally made a batch and this is what I enjoyed for lunch today:

I used my grandmother's recipe, and just in case you're craving one of these too, here it is:

1/2 lb sharp cheddar cheese (grate)
1/2 c mayo
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 oz pimentos (I used more--3 heaping tablespoons)
1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
1/4 tsp garlic salt
(I also added a dash of vinegar, and my grandmother suggests a Tbsp of gravied onion.)

Once you have combined all of the ingredients, the key to making this spread is to use your electric mixer to make it light and fluffy. Mix it longer than you think necessary. It makes a yummy pint!

I enjoyed my WHOLE sandwich (even though only half of it is pictured here) grilled with a slice of tomato. A trick that a friend of mine gave me about grilled cheese's is to sprinkle the buttered bread with a little garlic powder. YUM! My cantaloupe and strawberries were also delicious with it! Enjoy!

{Also, FYI, I'm trying to cut calories, and I tried this with 2% milk cheddar and light mayo, and I couldn't tell the difference!}

4 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

YUM. I'm definitely adding that to my recipe list. My mom had chronic Order Envy as well. I never understood it. ;P

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

haha! looks delish!

Unknown said...

I have dreamed about that sandwich since I had it! I think I've probably told 13 people about it :o) I'm going to copy down your recipe to give it a try here :o)

Noelle said...

Sounds interesting. Think I might make it for the family. I'm ten years old and I can only make brownies, Scrambled eggs and toast. We have a pastor friend who has the same thing. This morning at breakfast, in an effort to get over his disorder, ordered something else. When my dad's food came, he nearly accosted my dad for his food. He is going to a church recovery group to get over this. Seems like a pretty major issue, but then again, I'm just a kid. Tonight at dinner, my dad was telling my family about this and everyone thought it was stupid, saying it was simply a choice. After reading your post, I have a whole new concern with you who struggle with order envy. Someday, I hope to become a psychologist so I can study this. Until then, hope you survive.