Friday, June 05, 2009

Summer Lovin'

Two weeks into summer, and I am loving it! I have definitely felt thankful for this period of sunshine in my life after going through a season of rain... This week has been a fun one for Addison and me--going to the pool, the park, playdates with friends, time with family! Here are a few things I am especially loving right now:

1. Tomato Pie. I got this recipe from a girl Julie who I don't personally know, but whose blog I read occasionally because she is a Chi-O at Auburn and has a cool sense of style and sense of self. It makes me miss college and the freedom of spirit that goes with it. It's the easiest thing to make... In a pie shell, coat the bottom with 2 Tbsp of spicy mustard. Cover with 2 cups of swiss cheese. Cover with 3 1/4-inch-thick sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with dried basil flakes and Jane's Krazy salt. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Top with fresh basil leaves (missing from my picture). Let cool about 10 minutes.

I made this as a side to poppyseed chicken with fresh salad and key lime pie. One of my goals of the summer is to be a culinary goddess on the weekends when Patrick is home with us so that he feels "home." And so that I make sure that he still "wants me." {And I think it is working... He went on and on about how delicious dinner was and jumped up to do the dishes. What a good man! :)} In all seriousness, I really am enjoying trying new recipes wearing my anthropologie apron--a gift of birthdays past a la Jesse.

2. DMB's new CD release, Big Whiskey. Anybody catch them on the Today Show this morning? So amazing... I spent my high school and college years following them like some people follow Widespread Panic and The Grateful Dead. Their new tracks are so so good, and I have listened to nothing else since I downloaded it on my itunes this week.

3. Catching up with everyone's blogs. I really was totally enmeshed with work and domesticity this winter and spring, and I am enjoying getting caught up on fashion, style, funny stories, and family pictures on everyone's pages.

Addy and I went to the park with my oldest and one of my dearest friends and her kids today, and we were talking about life--how to balance being individuals, adults, moms, wives, friends, and our conversation turned to cooking. She said she got some recipes and sewing tutorials off "someone's random blog." Then, she stopped and said, "Wait, you may know her. She went to Auburn. It's 'Fly through my window.'" I laughed and said, "Yeah, it's Darby. She and I were sorority sisters." Articulate response, huh! Ha!

Usually a blog cynic and boycotter, my friend told me how much she likes how refreshing Darby's blog is... how she appreciates the way she does not brag about how great her life is, but how whenever she has a good idea or completes a successful project, she shares the recipe, tutorial, etc. She went on to say how she really feels like Darby is using her blog to be an encouragement to women and young moms, that she felt good about herself every time she follows one of her practical tutorials--and what a great way to glorify God! It encouraged me to hear, and it made me proud of my Auburn family. I need to email Darby and let her know how widely and far-reaching her blog is read and the kind of impact she is making. If you've not read her before, you should definitely add her to your blogroll.

2 comments:

McKinney Madness said...

2 things: I can't wait to try the Tomato Pie and Trey will be downloading DMB's cd very soon!

Sarah Armstrong said...

I have a delicious tomato pie recipe that I will email you - it's similar, yet quite different from this one and I think you'll really like it!